Choosing the right carpet for your home is a tough decision, and you never really know how it’s going to look or feel until it’s fully installed. However, there are a few things that you’ll want to consider to help in making the right choice. Here are five helpful carpet selection tips for homeowners.
- Consider how much traffic each area will get. If you’re carpeting your entire house, you might not want to use the same type of carpet everywhere. For example, if you’re carpeting basement areas, then you’ll probably just want to find a cheap, thin, commercial grade carpet to keep the floor from getting too cold. However, if you’re carpeting your bedroom, you probably want something a little softer and thicker.
- Consider whether or not you intend to sit on the carpet. If you are installing carpet in a hallway, then you probably aren’t going to be sitting or laying on it much. In which case, it probably doesn’t need to be too soft or thick. However, the carpet in your living room and bedroom is a place where you want to be able to sit, lay, and roll around. So you want to be sure it’s the type of carpet that feels good against your skin. You might not want a thick shag carpet, since those are pretty difficult to keep clean, but you probably want something a bit plush.
- Test a few swatches to see how difficult it is to lift stains. When it comes down to it, you’re going to end up with stains on your carpet every now and again. That’s just the nature of life. So you want to be sure that the carpet you choose doesn’t hold on to stains. If you know you’re going to be drinking coffee, wine, and iced tea in your living room from time to time, then you want to test a few swatches with these liquids. Find a strong stain remover and see which swatch is easiest to lift the stains from.
- Choose a color that goes well with the rest of your home. A lot of people like white carpets because they go with everything, but a lot of people don’t like white carpets because they stain so easily. No matter what color you choose, you want to be sure that it fits with the overall aesthetic of your home. That’s why it’s so important that you take a few swatches home and see what they look like under the lighting that you have in your home and with all of your furniture and decorations. The lighting can really make a huge difference.
- Be sure you’re not allergic to the fibers. If you have any kinds of allergies related to different fabrics, then it’s important that you don’t have your home carpeted with any fibers that you’re allergic to. When you are undecided between a few different types, it’s important that you rub them a bit on the more sensitive parts of your body, like your stomach or back to determine if you have any type of reaction.